Netiquette Rules

Hey again guys,

Today I’ll be sharing my “review” of the Netiquette Rules, first off, I’ll list what the Netiquette rules are.

1. When typing never write in all capital letters. That is shouting. People don’t like it when you shout at them in person. And they sure don’t like when you shout at them on the net!

2. Don’t plagiarize. Someone spent a long time coming up with their content. When you borrow something from someone, give them the credit. Site their name or their site. Give the site when you have gotten your information.

3. Use proper quotes and always use the whole quote. Don’t take quotes out of context and don’t be selective about which part of the quote you want to use.

4. Don’t gossip and keep personal information personal. Don’t tell stories that you don’t know for a fact to be true. And often, just because it’s true, doesn’t mean that it needs to be repeated.

5. Don’t steal those photographs off the web even if they are a perfect fit for what you need. Chances are they are copyrighted and someone spent a long time putting that together. Get permission and give credit where credit is due.

6. Watch your language. No potty mouths.

7. Be patient with internet newbies. Know that they are just learning like you did once upon a time.

8. No spamming. Remember that spam is unwanted electronic messages or sending the same electronic message over and over. This can get you in a lot of trouble on some sites and as a general rule it just irritates everyone else.

9. If you are using a header (such as in an email) make sure your content really pertains to the header. You must admit it would really stink if the header said something about football, for example, and the email was really about your newest and greatest business idea. Just stay on topic and the problem is solved.

10. Avoid overuse of emoticons. You know… those cute little smiley faces. They really lose their cuteness when overused and tend to irritate people.

So there, those are the netiquette rules. Let’s start with the first rule, sometimes “shouting” is necessary, like if someone is mad, frustrated etc. then I think they have every right to “shout”.

The next rule is basically don’t plagiarise, I can agree with this one, unless it’s like a quote or something that’s supposed to have something from another website or source, keep the text in your own words. Don’t think that you’re safe from detection for any plagiariser detector. There’s no website that’s under the radar or anything. Just do it yourself.

Again, the third rule is essentially use quotes, not just copy and paste the thing if you want to put it on your work.

The forth rule I again, disagree with to an extent. Gossip can be good, as weird as that sounds, because if you don’t know a fact to be true, that doesn’t mean you can tell others what you heard. Many jobs and occupations require “gossip” or facts that may or may not be true, such as a news reporter, theorist, etc. And if something IS true, than you have every right to repeat it.

Next rule, many pictures may be copyrighted, but as long as you don’t claim credit, revenue or something like that, it’s fine. It’s in the terms of fair use.

The sixth rule I can agree with to an extent. Websites that are “formal” or don’t require cussing, usually means don’t cuss. But something like Discord or a chat program are usually okay. Of course, this doesn’t mean six year olds should be going around and cussing everyone out.

The seventh rule is again, true to many. I would know because of my father, who was terrible with a computer and asked me for some tips and tutorials, eventually he got the hang of it and he’s quite good with it. Not everyone is great to begin with.

Nobody likes spam. Nobody. But sometimes spam is vital for other companies to succeed. Spam advertises products that actually might be useful. Of course, there is the other spam. Like sending the same thing over and over again. Nobody likes that spam. Nobody. (Besides the person sending it, who may be laughing his head off doing it.)

This also somewhat pertains to the eighth rule. Usually spam emails (USUALLY! Just broke a rule there. Oops.) contain a false heading to pull the reader in and scam them. This is also the same with YouTube videos, this is known as “clickbait.” Again, just make sure that if you’re going to advertise something, make sure you’re actually advertising said thing.

The last rule… I completely agree with. Trust me, as a School Student with Social Media, overuse of “emojis” are absolutely irritating. This won’t even be that long, just… don’t do it…